Sunday 18 October 2009

More existing penguin book covers....





Very traditional, old fashioned layouts above but I like the use of bold blocks of colour and limited colour palette.
This idea above could work quite nicely within my designs seeing as I am using a colour coding system where by the colour of the spin relates to the colour of the illustration on the front.



All the above images I have selected for the purpose of helping me with the layouts of type and image for my own book cover designs.  It has really helped me actually and given me an insight in what kind of style Penguin uses and the boundaries in which I can or can't push.  In general the type used is very simple but yet it is so effective, there are mixtures of sans serif and serif fonts and different weights and sizes are used throughout the different styles.





Some more examples of existing book cover designs...as you can see alot of different medias have been used for instance collage, photography, cartoons, patterns, vector based work, experimental typography, type and image combined etc. I could consider this when developing my idea.


Existing book covers...
Looking at limited edition books and features of them whether they have gold foiling or whether they are placed in a box of some sort to keep precious and damage free.





Below, I like the black ink on brown paper I think it gives a classic, old fashioned look.

No comments:

Post a Comment